This Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake is the perfect on-the-go breakfast. I absolutely love coffee cake, but sometimes the gluten and dairy used to make coffee cake is really hard on my gut. With this Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake, i can satisfy my sweet tooth and not have to worry about gluten or dairy!
The Perfect Substitutes
If you’re like me, you enjoy a little sweet flavor in your breakfasts. Typically, I enjoy a bit of both in my mornings. However, my gut isn’t always a fan. With all the sugar, gluten, and dairy that’s in many breakfast foods, it can be difficult finding a healthy alternative.
To address the gluten, this recipe uses coconut and cassava flour in place of regular grain-based flour. Coconut sugar and organic powdered sugar, which is in the icing, provide a nice sweet flavor in place of processed sugar.
Dairy is a problem food for a lot of people and found in most cakes. No need to worry in this Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake. Coconut milk makes for a great substitute.
How to Make this Coffee Cake
There a few layers to this Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake, which does mean the prep time could be a little lengthy. Trust me, it’s worth it.
The best way to make this recipe is by making the filling first, followed by the crumble. Unless you have a plethora of mixing bowls laying around, you’ll want to do this in steps:
- Step 1: Make the filling
- Step 2: Prepare the crumble
- Step 3: Make the cake batter
The icing can be made while the cake is in the oven and takes just a few steps.
The apple cinnamon filling between the crumble and cake is what makes this recipe amazing. You can be conservative or liberal with the lemon juice. I used the juice of two lemons, but it would takes just as good with one.
The cake batter will come out a little crumbly, but that’s ok. Feel free to add more coconut milk if you desire. I will say that you want the batter to be a little thick when you spread it out in the cake pan.
If you make this recipe and love it, leave a comment!
Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 2 Apples large, pealed and choped
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp coconut flour
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- lemon juice 2 fresh lemons squeezed
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup ghee or plant-based butter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4. eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp pure maple syurp
- 1 tbsp coconut milk unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
Prepare Apple Filling First
- Combine the water, lemon juice and apples in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, apples should be partially softened.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, then stir into the apple mixture until dissolved and the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and set aside to cool a bit.
Prepare the Crumble
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and combine using a fork or pastry blender until a coarse crumbly mixture forms. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8” square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca, baking soda, salt and spices, set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla until very smooth. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet using a spoon or spatula until well combined.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the center is set and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean of batter.
- Allow cake to cool on a wire rack about 20 mins, then drizzle with maple icing if desired (see below).