Jalapeño poppers are one of my favorite football tailgating snacks. Unfortunately, most of the store-bought jalapeño poppers are processed and deep-fried in unhealthy industrialized oils, such as vegetable or palm oils. Enter these Whole 30 Jalapeño Poppers.
With the Super Bowl around the corner, I found a healthy alternative: Whole 30 and Paleo-compliant jalapeño poppers, which go great with Avocado Lime Sauce (see below).
This recipe only requires eight ingredients for the poppers and eight more for the sauce. This recipe yields 10 poppers, so if you’re hosting a big group, you’ll definitely need to make more.
A Delicious Healthy Appetizer
These Jalapeño Poppers are the perfect game day treat. They are loaded with healthy ingredients, such as free-range chicken, fresh jalapeños and onions, chili powder, and Whole 30-compliant mayonnaise and bacon. You can serve it with Avocado Lime Sauce or your favorite condiment of choice. (They go great with Whole 30 ketchup, as well).
Jalapeño peppers are nutrient-packed with high amounts of fiber, vitamins C, A, K, and B6, and manganese. One cup of chicken boasts 38 grams of pure animal protein. Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting and healthy bones. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that prevents disease.
What Makes them Whole 30 Compliant?
If you follow the Whole 30, Paleo, or Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) diet, you know that dairy is off the table. The good news is, there are a lot of alternatives. The filling in these Jalapeño Poppers calls for cooked chicken, onion, and mayonnaise. You can make your own Whole 30 Mayo or get some at your local grocery store. I used Primal Kitchen’s Avocado Oil Mayo that I purchased at Whole Foods.
Bacon is another ingredient to be careful to ensure it is Whole 30 compliant. A lot of store-bought bacon contains sugar, which makes it non-compliant. Check the labels to ensure it is sugar- and nitrate-free. If the label says “uncured,” that’s a sure bet it is Whole 30 compliant. Still, check the label.
Whole 30 Jalapeño Poppers
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp Whole 30-compliant mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5 jalapeños, halved and seeded
- 10 strips of Whole 30-compliant bacon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the chicken, onion, mayonnaise, chili powder, salt and pepper in blender until it reaches a creamy consistency.
- Fill each jalapeño half with a spoonful of chicken mixture. It should be slightly heaping without spilling over.
- Wrap each jalapeño half with a slice of bacon. Fold the bacon underneath the pepper so it stays put.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until you can smell the peppers begin to roast.
Whole 30 Avocado Lime Sauce
- 2 avocados, peeled and cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- Small handful cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp. water, + more
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Combine the avocados, onion, garlic, lime juice, cilantro and water in a blender until creamy.
- Add more water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add the salt and pepper
- Blend again, and add more salt and pepper if desired for taste.
© 2023 Very Well Wellness | All rights reserved | Austin, Texas
Content on this website is not considered medical advice. See a physician before making any medical or lifestyle changes.